Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Serenity Now, God

*siiigh*

It appears Teacher Appreciation Week continues at my work. Do allow me to give you the updates so you know just how well things have blossomed since Monday's quarter-sized cupcake.

Yesterday my boss called me and told me not to come in because several of my students had canceled. So today I arrived to find my Teacher Appreciation Week gifts from yesterday AND today at my desk.

Tuesday's treat was a single serving box of chocolate chip cookies. I know you're wondering what kind, and the answer is they went really fancy and got Keebler. I learned later, though, that it actually wasn't from my boss; it was from a man named George whom, I swear, I've never heard of in my life. My boss added that "technically, Teacher Appreciation Day was only supposed to be Monday," but she decided to wave her beneficent hand through the end of the week on account of George's generosity yesterday. (For the record, I have no ill will against this George character. Thanks for the cookies, George. I'm glad you were able to convince my boss to spend five whole dollars on her staff over the course of this entire week.)

I digress.

Today's treat was eeeeven better: two "fun-sized" 100 Grand candy bars and a coupon book that is distributed for free with the newspaper every week. This (again, I swear), is what my boss had to say about it:

"I was going to just give one candy bar, but then I decided what the heck! You're not worth 100 grand, you're worth 200 grand! And someone was coming around to the office complex giving out these coupon books, so I grabbed a bunch and decide to give one to each of you. There are more in the front if you want more of them."

Again, I make $9 an hour and I am a licensed teacher. At this point it would be wise for me to say pray for me as I forge ahead with another interview tomorrow morning. Mama needs a light at the end of what is quickly becoming a godforsaken tunnel.

No comments: