Saturday, May 10, 2008

Me Can Count!

I just need to make a quick observation. I have a pet peeve to address. I cannot stand when people say they are some age "going on" some age. I was just talking to a woman who told me she was "27 going on 28," and, truly, I need you to know that it makes me cringe. I just wanted to stop her and say, "Hold on just a second, now! I am going to count this up on my fat little fingies to make sure 28 does in fact come after 27. Can't have you pulling one over on me! Onnnnneeeee....twwwooooo...threeeeeee...."

I understand that people say this to allude to an upcoming birthday, but for the love of god. If I ask, "How old are you?" I want to know how old you are...NOT when the next big milestone is coming. I'll be honest. If I want to know what month you're born in, I will ask you. I do not need a continual reminder of numerical sequencing now that I'm a full-grown adult.

It's really right up there with the rage it gave me when my teachers would insist on taking 30-40 minutes to read their syllabi out loud in class. After 20+ years of experience and practice, I like to think I've mastered both counting AND reading.

Controlling my rage over things that should be insignificant? Not so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#1. I honestly needed Bob to read the syllabi outloud to me. I mean, that thing was a eighteen page monster. If he hadn't read it to me...lord knows I wasn't going to.
#2. I think people feel compelled to give the "going on" distinction because there are different options. For instance, I find myself often feeling "26 going on HOMICIDAL."