Friday, January 16, 2009

Never Short of Material, I Tell Ya

I have a few good quotes of the day to share with you before they fly off into the deep recesses of my mind and I lose them forever. It's a mixed bag this time, so just hold on for the ride, people.

1. Proof that I teach at the nerdiest school ever (and love it), two kids were comparing calculators in class. One says to the other, "You have a TI-86? How primitive."

2. Yesterday, I gave one of my classes a quiz over Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. The quiz merely called for the students to provide a plot summary of the book to prove they had done the required background research on it. I got some of the standard fare by kids who didn't do that work--the classic "maybe being obscenely vague will get me somewhere" trick...things like, "A person does something. There are consequences and other things happen as a result." Those, let me tell you, are always delightful. My favorite, though, was from a kid who actually did do the background research but suffered from an unfortunate spelling error: "A guy named Gregor wakes up from a bad dream and turns into some kind of bug or incest." Heh...sometimes there are no words. All I could write back was, "That's an entirely different beast." I don't think he'll get it, but oh well.

3. The teacher next door to me has a three-year-old son who is pretty talkative. This teacher relayed the story of giving his child Nerds (the candy) as a reward for something. "Whatcha doing?" the child's mother said to the boy as she walked into the room. "Ohhh," he replied, "just eatin' some Turds!"

And with that I bid you adieu for now.

1 comment:

aliasmisskat said...

your kids are so lucky to have someone as intelligent, funny, and genuinely interested in education as you are.

i am totes jealous.