Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ohh, You Mean THAT Fall Harvest

I just got off the phone with my dad and need to relay part of our conversation, which I attempted to transcribe word-for-word as we talked.

First, some context: My parents belong to a rather conservative church. This church does regular babysitting nights called Parents' Night Out. With Halloween fast approaching, the next Parent's Night Out is meant to coincide with it. However, given the conservative nature of the church, Halloween is a bit scandalous. You know, witches and devils and demons and pranking and wasting perfectly good toilet paper on trees and whatnot. What follows is our conversation about this event.

Dad: Oh, and we've got the next Parents' Night Out coming up. This one is Fall Harvest Costume Night.

Me: Fall Harvest Costume Night, eh?

Dad: Yes, Fall Harvest Costume Night. Not Halloween. Fall Harvest Costume Night.

Me: Uh huhhh.

Dad: I need to go help your mom soon. I'm supposed to be helping her with these skeleton pieces we're going to be using to put on top of the food.

Me: You know, when I think of the bounties of the harvest season, I so often think of skeletons. Never with Halloween. Just the harvests.

Dad: Oh yes. And we've also got the Fall Harvest black cat pinata full of candy.

Me: (laughing)

Dad: And the Fall Harvest TP wrap to make mummies.

Me: (continued giggling)

Dad: Also, there will be a Fall Harvest costume parade of good little witch farmers and little goblin farmers.

Me: Breathtaking.

Who ever said church people can't subvert the system? Priceless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hilarious!!!! I giggled a lot when he called it the Fall Harvest Costume Party in church... :)